Friday, May 4, 2007

Stepping back in time


I've walked by Irving's Toys and Card Shop too many times to count--always intrigued by it but never taking the time to actually go inside. It turns out that I've been missing out on a hidden gem. The following is an online review from Yelp.com:
"You'll see this place but never think it's real. You'll walk past amused but not stop in. And my dear Yelp reader, the loss is yours. Irving's has been run by the same lady for possibly decades. She sits in the front of the store, proudly wearing a badge that reads "I love my customers." Framed pictures of her in the store through the years hang above her on the wall, and she is surrounded by trinkets and toys of another time. The board games in the back seem ancient but are neat and probably collectible. The selection of forgotten games is amazing. I bought Pin the Tail on the Donkey when I visited this goldmine a few weeks ago, and I stared in awe at the wide array of goodies. School kids came running in and out, paying for gum and candy with nickles left over from lunch. A friend and I inspected pop guns and boxes of Lemonheads. We were in heaven. Go while this place is still around. Help support an awesome local business and a sweet lady who keeps joy alive for kids of all ages."

1 comment:

• Eliane • said...

It looks adorable and something worth a little stop, while it's still around. On my list of things to see for my next visit!