Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Roslindale Branch


When I was very little (two or three years old) my family lived in Roslindale. Obviously, I don't remember too much about it. I don't remember where exactly in Roslindale we lived, or what exactly our home looked like, but I have clear and distinct memories of being taken to the Roslindale Public Library. I *think* I remember sitting for story time inside, but that memory is kind of muddled by age at this point. I do remember knowing we were near home whenever the circular building came into view. Every time someone mentions Roslindale, I instantly think of this building. Every time I try to give directions to, in, or around Roslindale, I use this building as a landmark.

Before the library was built there in 1961, a firehouse inhabited the space. The building is circular - according to its website - because the architects who designed it had to work with a pentagonal shaped lot, and figure out what to do about the underground brook (wonder if it's still there, or has run dry...)!

6 comments:

Sarah G said...

Man, anyone asking directions from you must be seriously lost! ;)

Leyre said...

Hardy har har. As long as they're not going more than a block from the library in any direction, I can swing it ;)

• Eliane • said...

That is amazing that you remember something from your early childhood. i am so jealous!

Pamela Jaye said...

signing in

Pamela Jaye said...

When I was older than you were - 3, 4 or 5 - we lived in West Roxbury. I don't quite remember being inside the library, but as it was the closest one to us (apparently) this is the one we used to go to.

Next we moved to Westwood.

Later, when I left home, I moved to JP and the next place I moved to was Roslindale. Every day on my way to and from work, I passed the library. (well I also passed the BPL, as I worked at the old John Hancock Bldg for 6 years (80 thru 86))

thanks for letting me know it's still there!

I'm actually looking for a picture of the old side of the BPL as seen on Boston Legal - with the statues holding those balls... I'm fairly sure it's the BPL, but I can't seem to find a pic with said statues.

Perhaps you will have one. I haven't completely perused your site - but I know my brother will be thrilled with it, cause he's just enraptured by the Smoots. (he moved to FL with my parents in 81 and I moved here in 2001. I held out as long as I could afford it.)

Pamela Jaye said...

Apparently there is/was a branch in West Roxbury, but I have noidea where Centre Street is and my mother didn't drive - this library was on the bus line, so that's where we went (I can only wonder if we went as often as we did in Westwood when my mother's card # was famous (a summer intern once said "oh, *you're* 1075!") and we once had 72 library books in our house (we decided to count).